In 1898, the Alaska Agricultural Experiment Station was established in Sitka, also the site of Alaska’s first experiment farm. Subsequent stations were opened at Kodiak, Kenai, Rampart, Copper Center, Fairbanks and Matanuska.
The Alaska Agricultural Experiment Station was not originally part of the Alaska land-grant college system. In 1931, the experiment station was transferred from federal ownership to the Alaska Agricultural College and School of Mines, and in 1935 the college was renamed the University of Alaska. Read More >>